• Dr. Nicole Knapp

Headaches: how can chiropractic care help?


Do you remember the last time you had a headache or migraine? Nine out of ten people suffer from headaches and can range from dull to incapacitating. I know I’ve had some pretty memorable headaches where I’ve spent the majority of time hiding under cool washcloths, locked in my dark bedroom with no sound or light. The slightest movement would make me nauseous and ill. If you’ve experienced this, I promise you’re not the only one.

What do you do when you’re suffering from a headache/migraine? Do you grin and bear it, biding your time until your day is over so you can go home and dive into your warm bed and sleep? Do you pop some aspirin in hopes it will go away? The best method of relief is visiting your chiropractor for a regular adjustment.


Headache Triggers


Most headaches originate in the neck and can be triggered by other factors. About 5 percent of headaches are warnings from your body that there is a physical problem; the other 95 percent are tension, migraines or cluster headaches which are not caused by disease.


What are some triggers to these headaches?


  • Certain foods such as processed meats with nitrates

  • Stress

  • Lights/noises

  • Insomnia and/or change in sleep patterns

  • Blood sugar changes

  • Excessive exercise

  • Alcohol

  • Skipped meals

  • Poor posture

  • Medication overuse

  • Excessive or lack of caffeine

  • Menstruation

  • Acute or chronic Sinusitis

  • Excessive coughing

  • Dehydration

  • Concussions


What can you do?


The list could go on and on for the various triggers for headaches. What matters is what you choose to do about it. If you spend a lot of time in a single fixed position such as in front of a computer, try taking a break every 30 minutes to an hour in order to stretch and relax your eyes, neck, and head. Sometimes low impact exercises can help with primary headaches. If you are prone to dull throbbing headaches, avoid heavy exercise and teeth clenching which can stress the joints that connect your jaw to your skull. Drinking half your body weight (in ounces) of water a day can avoid dehydration which is a common reason for headaches in many people.


What can your chiropractor do for you?


Chiropractors undergo extensive teachings and training to help their patients with symptoms beyond low back pain. If any of the above-listed triggers are part of your headaches chiropractic can help. A chiropractic adjustment will help you adapt to the above triggers and stressors of your life which will in part decrease the number of headaches you experience. The benefits of visiting a chiropractor include:


Perform a spinal adjustment to relieve the tension and stress on your nervous system. the

  • Improve spinal function and allowing proper communication between brain and body.

  • Provide nutritional advice including instilling more vitamin supplements and changes of diet that might help with your headaches

  • Provide exercise and relaxation techniques as well as posture ergonomics and how to sit or stand at work to avoid headaches


For more information, feel free to call us at 262-796-5108, follow us on Facebook @knappchiro, or stop in! We look forward to meeting you and your family.



  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Instagram Icon
  • White LinkedIn Icon

© Knapp Chiropractic & Wellness | Privacy Policy

Serving Brookfield, Elm Grove, New Berlin, Pewaukee,  Waukesha, Wauwatosa, and surrounding areas.

Knapp Chiropractic & Welness Logo